Support my fundraising efforts by clicking the link above!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Back on Track

It has been a while since my last post. I have continued on with my training, however; I will admit that I have skipped a few running days! It's way too easy to skip a day, or 2.....ok maybe 3 days during the summer!! During a recent vacation, I packed my running shoes and was determined to keep up with my schedule while "away". A few "nights out on the town", and various other distractions later, I skipped nearly a week of running! My first morning back in Boston, I was determined to get back on track. I made a slight detour from my running schedule and ran 6 miles over the normal weekly 3 mile runs to make myself feel better. I'm happy to report that the 6 mile runs are starting to feel shorter and shorter each time!

On Saturday morning, I went for a nice 10 mile run around the Charles River. Although all of the preparation for the Boston fireworks caused a few runner "detours", I did get a behind the scenes view of all the preparation that went into preparing for such a big show! Check out the clip I took below from the finale of the amazing fireworks display on July 4th in Boston.



Ok, back to the running now. Since this was a pretty long run, I decided to use my GU energy gels and the fuel belt for hydration. I haven't had the GU's in a while, but the chocolate outrage flavor was a pretty awesome treat midway through my run. It tastes just like chocolate pudding! It was also great to have the fuel belt with the extreme heat outside. I'm trying to be extremely careful about hydrating myself so that I don't end up with heat exhaustion.

At the end of the 10 mile run, I did a nice stretch routine in the park near my apartment which was awesomely relaxing. I also gulped down 2 large Powerades! I'm thinking I'll have to pack my fuel belt next weekend with H20 and powerade to keep up with my thirst.

I also find it funny how ridiculously hungry I am after a long run of 10 miles. I had tons of carbs a few days before, and had a lsnack before my run. After the run I had a protein shake and more pasta. Two hours later I was still hungry! One of my buddies invited me out for Mexican food, so I let the awesome enchiladas and nachos take care of my appetite. If running this much allows me to eat as much food as this, I think i'll keep it up!

This was a pretty long post, but like I said before it has been a while. I am back on track now with all of my training, and look forward to my midweek runs reaching 5 miles this week. I'll continue to keep you posted.

Also, don't forget to donate to the American Cancer Society. I still have a long way to reach my $1,000 fundraising goal: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/Kevin.Fletcher


Until next time,

-Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment